Wednesday 20 August 2008

Camping Trips From Hell

I still remember my first camping trip - it's not the sort of experience that will easily be forgotten. I'd been convinced that it was a good idea - a cheap way to have a little break.

As we packed the tent and various accessories into the back of the car, I realised that I was completely out of my depth. It all looked significantly more complicated than I'd bargained for.

Surely we wouldn't need all this stuff? We were driving down to Devon - we hadn't booked ahead, as apparently there wouldn't be any need. The holiday would be cheap and we'd have great fun - we could just pick a camp site that was in a nice location and use it as a base.

The weather was pretty awful on the drive down. The thought of spending a week in a wet field wasn't looking too appealing at this point. As it was, the heavy traffic meant that we made slow progress.

By the time we turned up at the site it was too dark to see very much. As we unpacked our stuff from the boot of the car, I realised that we'd have been in a complete mess if it hadn't been for the torches that had thoughtfully been packed.

This was certainly the case when we came to erect the tent. It seemed to me that the tent was relatively small, but even with some experienced assistance, it wasn't much fun putting it together in the rain.

It wasn't the best start to the trip and things were to get worse when I realised that I needed to visit the toilet.

Having marched across a muddy field, finding my way by torchlight, I soon noticed that the toilets were of a pretty low standard.

In fact, I was grateful that the torch wasn't lighting up more of the so-called facilities.

I remember it raining throughout the week that we were there. Despite attempts to remain cheerful, it was a horrid trip.

I'm pleased to say that I've now been on a number of other camping trips and found them to actually be rather pleasant. The key to success seems to be to prepare properly.

Other than the tent, there's always one item that I make sure that I pack - a folding camping toilet.

I still shiver at the thought of camp site toilets!

More on folding camping toilets is available online, as discussed by Keith Barrett. This article may be used by any website publisher, though this resource box must always be included in full.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Keith_Barrett